Club History

Currow GAA was formerly founded in 1911 with the assistance of the new Parish Priest George O'Callaghan when two teams Wolfe Tones and Currans both part of the parish of Killentierna joined together. This is where Currow got its team colours black & amber - one team wore black and the other team wore amber. During the club's early years the club was linked with close neighbours especially Scartaglin when players from each club would frequently swap sides with the neighbouring club. The Currow Wolfe Tones continued to play GAA and were mentioned in dispatches in 1912 when they played John Mitchells at Currow.

It seems Currow was a haven for football and had a junior team in existence called Currow Emmetts for many years prior to 1911. The team was mentioned in newspaper reports in 1906 & 1912 where they played Castleisland Geraldines (junior team) on both occasions.

In 1925 The East Kerry GAA Board was founded. Dick Fitzgerald was the first chairman of the Board, and Paul Russell was the first secretary, and a Currow man Humphrey Murphy was on the formation committee of the Board.

Delegates from the following clubs the first meeting of the new Board: Killarney, Currow, Farranfore, Firies, Kenmare, Headford, Kilcummin and Killorglin.The Club grew in strength and up until 1928 Currow participated in the Senior County championship where they lost to a more experienced Strand Rd team.

By 1931, Farranfore, Ballymac, Cordal, Scartaglen and Currow broke away from the East Kerry Division to join with with Castleisland GAA club to form the Castleisland District League. Currow won the District league in 1931, 1949 and 1950.

A very important club event occurred in 1938 when the Sportsfield was given over to the parish by The Land Commission from The Meredith's Estate. Up to that time they played pitches provided by local landowners. The club was only a handful of teams to have its own sportsfield at the time. The first game was played there in 1940 with a game against local rivals Castleisland.

The Club won the Castleisland District Championship (CDC) in 1959 with a win over Desmonds. The same year, the U16 team won the District League for the first time. The club hit a rocky patch in 1960 when Currans went on their own as a junior club known as Currans Young Islanders. They wore green and white jerseys, with white collars and cuffs and green and white shorts. It was a short lived exercise as they rejoined with the Currow Senior club the following year. The club went onto win the CDC in 1965 with a win over Ballymac which avenged a defeat in the 1962 final. The team continued their winning ways with wins in 1967 and 1968 with wins over Desmonds. Johnny Scanlon notes the teams had to get a lift in Tom Donellan's Lorry to get to games. 

By 1970's, change was in the air, Currow club had a meeting in Freddie Galwey's forge and were only a handful of teams to vote stopping players playing foreign codes. the irony of this is the parish has produced an extraordinary amount of Irish Rugby International from a small parish. Currow rejoined the East Kerry Board in 1970 with neighbours Cordal and Scartaglen. Currow have won the East Kerry Championship on three occasions since their formation in 1911. The first time they won was in 1945 with the Shanahan brothers. The club went onto win the 1977 East Kerry Minor Championship. The club contested the East Kerry Championship finals in 1992, 1997 &  finally won the title in 1998 by beating Glenflesk with Sean O'Connor Club Captain on the day. On 1986 Currow beat local rivals Cordal to win the O'Sullivan Cup. In 1988, 1996 and 2011 the club won the East Kerry League Division 1 title along with 1993 U21 championship. The club also won the East Kerry U21 B Championships in 2008 and 2010 with wins over Glenflesk and Scartaglin/Cordal combination respectively.

Timmie O'Leary has been named on the East Kerry Senior All Star team twice in 2011 and 2013 respectively. In addition, Seamus Scanlon and John Buckley also made the East Kerry 2013 All Star team with John Buckley for being named the 2013 East Kerry footballer of the year. In 2009,Seamus Scanlon received the highest accolade of being chosen on the National All-Star team which was a proud moment for Seamus, his family and the club.

Currow minors won their first Minor County League in 1972 and followed that win with another County Title in 1978. These teams formed the backbone of the 1982 team which won the first of its County titles when they won the County Novice Championship with hard win over local neighbours Scartaglin with Charlie Daly being Club Captain on the day. 

On the 12th June 1983 signaled the opening of redeveloped field and new dressing rooms. Club gave deeds to the County Board in exchange for development grant. Another significant moment in the club history took place in 1985 with the formation of Bord Na Nog - Johnny Scanlon (Chairman), Bob Walsh (Treasurer) and Johnny Brosnan (Secretary). The club continued to grow when in 1988 the club won the second of their county titles, the County Junior Championship, East Kerry Division 1 and promotion to County League Division 2 with former Kerry Minor and Kerry Junior Timmie Brosnan as Club Captain. Currow contested the 1997 Intermediate Championship final but lost to Kilcummin on the day.

The year 2008 proved to be good year for the club with the senior team winning the 2008 East Kerry League Division Two title against Firies, the Junior team taking the McElligott cup and the County Junior title with a win over An Ghaeltacht. The club took heart from winning those titles when in 2009 they contested the County Intermediate Championship Final against another fellow East Kerry rivals Spa but didn't win on that day. In the club's centenary year 2011, the senior team won the East Kerry Division 1 league title with a win over Legion. 

In 2013, Currow finally won the County Intermediate Championship with a win over South Kerry team St. Marys with 2009 All Star Seamus Scanlon Club Captain on the day and, John Buckley winning the Man of the Match award. They contested the Munster Intermediate Championship but lost away in the semi finals against St. Josephs, Milltown Malbay.

In the County League, Currow were in Division 3 for many years and won promotion to Division 2 in 1988 and onto the heights of Division 1 in 1990 for a number of years before playing in a very competitive Division 2. They were relegated to Division 3 in 2010 but gained promotion to Division 2 in 2012 and followed that with promotion to Division One in 2013. Relegation followed again to Division 3 again highlighting the competitive nature of Kerry GAA County League Football. In 2016 the senior team gained promotion to Division 2 of the County League and have managed to stay in this competitive Division since then.

From 2009 Emigration impacted the club with many players leaving the club to go overseas to USA, Canada and Australia and in 2012 and 2013 resulted in no Junior Team being formed during these years. This impacted the team in Division One in 2014 and were relegated after one year. The Senior team were also relegated from the County Senior Championship after losing the relegation play off against Kilcummin after one year in the competition. Team Management for 2012, 2013 and 2014 were Kieran Scanlon, Tadgh Howard and Paddy O'Sullivan.

In 2014, the Junior team played in the County Junior League and won the league against the odds against a strong Annascaul team. Team Managers were Jimmy Scanlon, Pat Brosnan and Tom Callaghan. In 2017, the Junior team won the Cahill Cup with a one point win over Valentia with Pat Brosnan as manager.

Throughout it's history the club has been linked with song, dance and drama where in the early 1970's where they won the All-Ireland Finals - a fantastic achievement for a small rural club. Since then the club have competed in varied competitions in various competitions locally.

Another Chapter in the history of the club was completed in 2007 when the Club GAA crest and club website were officially launched. Johnny Brosnan (Threegneeves) put a lot of effort into the design of the crest and it captures the essence of the parish. The three bridges represent the Brown Flesk River flowing through the three villages of the Parish - Currow, Currans and Kilsarcon. The hurling sticks represent the various camogie and hurling teams that were set up at one stage in the club. The black and amber colours represent the club colours. That same year saw the club launch its first website www.currowgaa.com.

The club continued to progress when in 2011, the club's centenary year, officially opened its updated dressing rooms, pitch and a new stand for patrons and the people of the parish. That year also signaled the introduction of a new website www.currowgaaclub.com providing up to date information and links with various organisations, club notes etc.

Information Request: Please contact James Brosnan on jebrosnan@hotmail.com if any person has information on the history of the club.

 


Site Search

Search for

Upcoming Events

Find us on Facebook

Useful Links